“To think that over a year ago, I was in prison serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole over a non-violent cannabis conviction, and today I’m helping others get jobs in the cannabis industry.” -Corvain Cooper, 40 Tons Brand Ambassador.
On February 17th, 2022, 40 Tons Brand and BrandResumes joined forces once again to host the second ‘Canna Get A Second Chance’ Cannabis Career Conference in the city of Hawthorne, California.
Cannabis Career Conferences are events and a platform specifically for those impacted by the cannabis industry and need an equitable start in their career search. The mission is to close the gap in restorative justice and diversity and inclusivity within the cannabis industry. These conferences are committed to connecting job seekers directly with thriving cannabis employers and educational institutions, while engaging them with on-site professionals for cannabis related conviction expungement, career coaching, scholarship opportunities, and many other free professional resources like haircuts and headshots. In the same action, they also help employers meet their workforce demands with qualified and eager candidates.
“40 Tons is a social impact cannabis brand and we knew we had to do something for our community, for people who have past cannabis convictions like our 40 Tons Ambassador Corvain Cooper, who was serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole. We knew we had to prevent recidivism, right, we knew we had to bring value to participants, hence the birth of our career fairs.” – Loriel Alegrete, CEO and Co-founder, 40 Tons.
The event was title sponsored by The Shyne Group, with videography provided by BlvckWolf Media and photography sponsored by Rove Brand. They were also joined by many other heavy-hitter sponsors and vendors like Stiiizy, The Freedom Unit, Canivision, Go Verde, California Cannabis, Freedom Grow, The Source LA, CannaJobs, Respect My Region, Last Prisoner Project and many many more.
On this day, there were some significant wins, including:
- 482 Eventbrite registrations
- 300+ Attendees
- 15 Cannabis vendor participants
- 5 Oaksterdam Scholarships awarded ($1,000 value each)
- 5 Cyber Security Scholarships provided by The Freedom Unit ($2,500 value each)
- Over 20 people hired on the spot
- 100+ people received follow up interviews
- 50 people received FREE resume and LinkedIn assistance ($300 value each)
- 17 people got FREE haircuts ($40 value each)
- 30 people received FREE professional headshot photos ($100 value each)
- Dozens of attendees the 2 educational master classes
- Los Angeles Radio Station Power 106 FM Pop-upSome immeasurable successes include the confidence for job-seekers to step back into the workforce after a cannabis conviction, the soft and hard skills gained by entering the workforce again, the continued advocacy for restorative justice in the industry and the gratitude of companies able to fill positions with qualified, eager candidates.“I feel like it’s our commitment to be able to do everything we can to give back to those communities that have been devastated the most by the War on Drugs, And to just be able to bridge the opportunity Gap that exists in a lot of these communities that have been historically underserved.” -DeRon Waller, Senior Manager of Community Giving, Stiiizy
This is only still the beginning for the Cannabis Career Conferences journey. The tour continues, including dates in Oakland, CA and Tenton, NJ!
Check out the incredible press from the event:
“I got a Cannabis conviction 30 years ago. Every time I’ve applied for a good job I’ve always been denied because of that conviction. I attended the 40 Tons: Canna Get a Second Chance Cannabis Career Fair and was so thankful for all I received. I got a haircut, resume, and was actually hired By Stiiizy’s Blazed Delivery company. This is the 1st time in many years I have felt good about my past. Thank you 40 Tons!” -Jerry Winchell, Career Fair Attendee
See you at the next conference on April 16th in Oakland, CA!